Last year I made some bags as gifts for my friends and family. They had a magnetic snap closure at the top, and I followed all of the instructions for inserting this type of closure from the pattern.
All but one of the bags are still holding up well, but with heavy daily use, half of the magnetic snap starting pulling through the fabric and interfacing. At first I just squirted some Fray Check on that hole, but alas, it needed more than that. Of course, I was just being lazy 🙂
First, I opened up the bag from the bottom of the lining since that’s where I closed it up when I first assembled it.
The interfacing was still fine behind the snap.
I cut through that interfacing to cut around the snap and remove it.
I was able to reuse the snap by pulling the back open gently.
I took a scrap from the outside fabric I had in my scrap stash (oh yeah!) and fused some fusible fleece to it. I think I cut the scrap like 2×3″, but I’m not sure, just enough to nicely cover the hole and secure the snap. I cut the fusible fleece the size of the scrap minus seam allowance to eliminate bulk.
I folded over the seam allowance and pressed, then reinserted the snap. It looks great from the front!
Then I used wonder tape to attach it to the bag to hold in place.
I top stitched it in place (I had to seam rip a bit more of the liner piece so that I could fit it into my sewing machine).
You can see the snap from the back. I just fused more woven interfacing over it, SF101, then sewed up the liner. Done! Now it still looks great and works again!